Three Ways to Promote Your Business or Event for Free
June 18th, 2019 — News
1. List on the What’s On website
To be considered for free promotion, simply submit your business or event at whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au. By listing, you can reach even more Melburnians via our What’s On Melbourne channels:
- 6,800,00 Visits annually to the What's On website
- 100,000 Subscribers receive the weekly What's On e-newsletter
- 589,000 followers combined on Facebook and Instagram
- One promotion on all What's On channels is worth $13,000 in free advertising!
2. Provide strong social media content
Boost exposure for your business or event by submitting your content at melbourne.vic.gov.au/digitalmarketing
- A listing on our What’s On website – whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au
- A great photo – refer to photo tips below
- Short, succinct information to use for the social media caption – refer to copy tips below
- Be active on social media, especially Instagram.
TIMING IS EVERYTHING
- If something new is happening or about to happen, share it with us sooner rather than later
- Be early – send us content two to four weeks before publication date
- Keep us updated with any news. Send your media release firstname.lastname@example.org
PHOTO AND VIDEO TIPS
- Photos should be high resolution (1MB or more) with no text, logos or graphics
- Pick photos that are bright, colourful and in focus
- Supply a combination of landscape (horizontal) and portrait (vertical) photos to fit different social formats
- Keep videos short (10-30 seconds). Portrait is preferred format
- Make sure you own the rights to the image
- Avoid empty venues, single use plastic and extreme close ups
- Shoot with the light behind you or to the side.
- Keep it brief
- Include the most newsworthy aspect of your business or event
- Don’t use promotional or sales focused language.
- We are continuously reviewing social media to find interesting content to repost
- Use #melbmoment on Instagram main feed photos
- Tag @whatsonmelb on Instagram stories to enable us to share your content
- Tag the What’s On Melbourne Facebook page.
3. Content ideas
RESTAURANTS AND BARS
- Unique menu items
- Interesting collaborations
- Events such as classes, workshops or live music
- Sustainable practices such as a rooftop herb garden or use of local produce.
- Anything that is made by Melburnians
- Photos of the most eye-catching items
- Special offerings for seasonal events
- Instore events – meet the artist, meet the author, live music instore or artist takeover of retail window
- Photos of people using the services – for example people getting their nails done or getting a facial
- Retail products available
- Special VIP events for customers
- Connection to wider trends such as wellbeing and sustainability.
Find more information about City of Melbourne marketing opportunities at melbourne.vic.gov.au/digitalmarketing.